Ten Predictions For The Very Near Future Of Higher Education
1. Down (or flat) will be the new up when it comes to tuition prices.
2. “Elite” will shift from being the sought-after brand to a questionable one for all but the wealthy. Country clubs or colleges? That will be the question.
3. Experiential marketing—in the form of short summer and online courses for high school students—will become the dominant strategy of enrollment management.
4. Admissions decisions will be made in 24-48 hours.
5. Colleges will track and report 3-year graduation rates–in addition to 4- and 6-year graduation rates.
6. Instead of going to college to get a job, students will increasingly be going to a job to get a college degree.
7. Higher education will see more growth in non-degree educational offerings than in degree programs.
8. Internships, co-ops and credegrees will become a staple of every college education.
9. Employers will become a new breed of accreditor for higher education.
10. Graduating debt free—with a job—will be the ultimate student outcome metric.