8 Facts to Consider Before Providing Drinking Water to Your Race Horse!
If you are the proud owner of racehorses, you ought to know that water is an essential element that these animals need to survive and remain healthy. Prominent veterinary surgeons say it is possible for these animals to stay without food for more than one month. However, if they do not drink clean water for more than 48 hours, they develop symptoms of colic. This quickly results in lethargy and in the worst-case scenario these animals can die of life-threatening sequelae. These experts go on to explain that it is essential for you to consider the following eight critical facts about quantum and quality of clean drinking water you provide to your horses:
- Excessive flooding in the pasture where your breed your racehorses can result in the growth of various varieties of bacteria such as Escherichia coli. These microorganisms can contaminate your water source and cause diarrhea in your horses.
- Farmers who use agricultural fertilizers with a high content of minerals such as nitrogen or phosphorous can pullulate steams on your pastures. This makes such water sources unfit for your horses to drink.
- You need to take extra care of your horses in sweltering weather. This is because such climatic conditions are ideal for the growth of Algal. This is a toxin-generating cyanobacteria, which is fatal for horses. Animals suffer from it show symptoms of liver ailments and diarrhea.
- When the urine of other animals contaminates the water sources your horses drink from, it can result in leptospirosis. You need to make sure your horses do not drink such water especially when they are going to participate in professional tournaments like TVG Horse Races.
- Stagnant water is the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. Veterinarians and other prominent experts specializing in medicine consider them to be the harmful insects on this planet. Your horses could suffer from various forms of ailments if they drink water. This is the reason why you need to take necessary steps to remove it from your pasture.
- You need to make it a point to ensure your horses do not eat various aquatic insects while drink water from the canals or streams. This is because these animals may end up suffering from ‘Potomac Horse’ fever.
- During the winter season, you need to remove excessive mud or snow from the water source; your horses drink from. This is because there is always a risk that these animals may slip and injure themselves especially the older ones.
- Drought or overgrazing in a pasture may reduce the quantum of clean water in the streams, canals and other natural sources your horses drink from.
These experts say it is necessary for you as an owner to continually monitor the health of the horses you breed even it is a time-consuming process. You need to ensure they have access to clean drinking water at all times, which is free from impurities. This is the reason why you need to consider the above eight facts when selecting an ideal water source for these animals on your pasture. After all, you want them to win the professional horseracing tournaments they participate in.